5 Tips for Homeowners in Winter
1) Clean your gutters:
Western North Carolina residents may debate on whether or not they enjoy winter, but everyone loves autumn and the brilliant display of colors and changing leaves in our area. However, even fall has the downside. When those leaves fall, they can create a mess and really pile up in your gutter. Clogged gutters can lead to a number of other issues, including:
- Drainage problems as water is not properly channeled from your home when it rains.
- Wet basements and crawl spaces because rainfall is spilling into places it was never meant to be.
- Ice jams in your gutter that can damage the gutter itself as well as your roofing and eaves.
- The development of mold and organic girl growth in the gutter and around your roofing spaces.
There will most likely be periods of heavy rain and at least some rounds of snow and ice. With leaves and twigs trapped in your gutter, you can end up with an icy mess that leads to additional damage to your home. Have your gutters cleaned professionally this winter.
2) Pressure wash your deck.
You may not think of winter as a time where you will be sitting or grilling on the deck. However, the same phenomenon that has clogged your gutters has contributed to creating a slimy, grimy film on your deck. The rain, snow, and ice will only continue to make your deck dirtier. Have your deck pressure washed, or you could be re-staining and refinishing it as soon as winter is over.
3) Pressure wash your sidewalks and driveway.
Like your gutters and decks, the falling leaves probably left traces of dirt and grime on your sidewalks and driveways. Furthermore, you may be treating your sidewalks and driveway with salt when weather threatens. You will need to have these things washed from your driveway and sidewalk.
4) Consider snow removal.
We have already experienced one round of heavy snow this winter, even down in the valleys. It is possible he will be dealing with it again, especially in the higher elevations. If you own a home or even an apartment complex in the Asheville area, consider snow removal services to ease the burden on you and your body, so you can enjoy winter.
5) Other tips.
Some other tips for making sure your home survive the winter include:
- Make sure your heating system is properly maintained, air filters are changed, and it is serviced if necessary, so you do not run out of heat.
- Clean your windows and door glass to allow more light into your home. That will take some of the burden off of your heating system.
- Repair any drafty windows, or replace them with energy-efficient units.
- Have your siding pressure washed, especially if you recently cleaned your gutters, as your siding may have also become dirty and grimy.
- While you are not using your outdoor furniture as much, this would be a good time to have those items cleaned and pressure washed.
- Make sure your outdoor garden hose is properly stored. If not, any residual moisture could freeze and damage the hose.
- If you discover any kind of leak in your roof, repair it immediately. Excess moisture can always lead to damage, but in winter this moisture can freeze and expand, causing even costlier repairs.
If you have more questions about home maintenance tips during winter, the team at HydroClean is here for you. We are professional pressure washers, utilizing techniques that help ensure your surfaces are clean and ready for winter. If you need your gutters cleaned, surfaces pressure washed, contact us today.